A busy woman with a running agenda...


Hi all

So, this is me and my running journey for 2012.

My biggest year of running yet which will undoubtedly include my many highs and lows over the year.

Sunday 4 March 2012

Remind Me Again Why I'm Doing This!

Another week down - that's 10 weeks into my 50 week training plan.  But that means there's STILL approximately another 40 weeks to go!  Remind me again why I'm doing this!

This week I've felt tired, stressed and slightly drowning.  An incredibly busy week with work - report writing; twilight training; getting ready for a week of middle school maths roadshows and having tired legs that don't want to seem to move for me.  Not to mention the children!  So in many ways the running has been THE perfect escape from it all but on the same token, it has depleted my energy levels somewhat too.

I do think that my constant thinking about running, times, schedules, pace and juggling it all are proving to be a focus as well as the actual physical running in itself but - as these things do over time - it has all started to embed itself into some sort of routine.  I like routines!

So my week as was:
Pretty much on target - woo hoo!
Monday - zip!
Tuesday - 10km on the treadmill (I had intended this to be slow and it was at just under 51 minutes, but my legs weren't happy at all.  They felt so very tired.)  Plus side was that I then spent the evening at a pudding night devouring pretty much everything in sight!  Down side - too much rich food and sugar that I couldn't sleep and felt ill on Weds morning!  A short rest before exercising Wednesday evening:  A slow-ish run to the athletics track (this was longer than I had anticipated, 3.5 miles), 5.25 miles of interval training at a very constant 7 minute miling followed by the 3.5 miles home again.  I loved the track session but felt that I should have pushed myself harder at the track and yet, knew that I needed the reserve energy to get me home again having also ran the day before!
I did however manage to run a WHOLE 2 miles on Thursday morning before work!  Legs weren't best pleased but they didn't fight too much!  Friday - well needed rest and an even more well needed deep tissue sports massage by the lovely Sheryl.  I hadn't realised just HOW much I needed this maintenance!
Saturday - long run day, 20 miles on a lovely route around the Norfolk/Suffolk border.  This is the first time I've ventured into anything over 16 miles since 2005.  My goodness did the legs know it!  Surprisingly enough the second half was actually faster than the first 10 miles but even so, the final 4 miles felt a real punishment.  My lovely friend Tara gave me some well needed cycle support - I'd forgotten just how much mind-over-matter is needed when you push yourself at a faster pace/longer distance. (I ask again, 'Why am I doing this?')  It took me 2hrs 55 which was, I felt, disappointing.  I'd have quite liked 2 hours 50 (well, let's be honest, I would have quite liked 2 hours 30 but I need to be realistic) so I'm not a million miles away but 7 years ago, I was running this in 2 hours 45.  That's a drop of 10 minutes! (TEN minutes!).  Bigger picture - I'm getting the miles in AND I'm interval training so the times will improve I'm sure... and if they don't, I'm getting the miles in regardless.
Sunday - Children at home, rest day.  No Wymondham 20 for me.
In total 40.25 miles which on balance,  I'm really pleased with.

I know the next few weeks are going to be difficult as I have Parents Evenings and such like but am still planning on getting a few good runs in.  The plan for Week 11 of training is:
Monday - working and then being mum, no miles
Tuesday - 10km (minimum) hard running at the gym
Wednesday - I've madly (!) agreed to run with my friend Charlotte, a dedicated morning runner, at 5.45am before work (4-5 miles)
Thursday - Work, Parents Evening, being mum - no miles.  :o(
Friday - 4-5 VERY slow miles!
Saturday - half marathon although no race entry.  Will try to up the speed as it'll do me the power of good! 
Sunday - Although the children are with their dad, I plan on nursing a hangover after my birthday celebrations (Easily done, I'm no drinker!) so I may get a few slow miles in but I think I'll play that one by ear.  I suspect in total, there'll be only 30 miles covered this week but I'm hoping that at least two of those will be intensive and fruitful.

On my final note for the week, I did spend Saturday afternoon/evening trying to coax my legs into being my friend again.  I truly believe that they disowned for me a spell (Exactly why AM I doing this?)! Today, leg muscles are slightly sore; appetite is ravenous (every cloud and all that); mental attitude and positivity are restored and I'm ready for the week ahead.  Bring the challenges on!  Milan is now only 6 weeks away and Edinburgh thereafter.  NB - I'm still trying to climb my ladder one rung at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment