A busy woman with a running agenda...


Hi all

So, this is me and my running journey for 2012.

My biggest year of running yet which will undoubtedly include my many highs and lows over the year.

Sunday 18 March 2012

Sleep beckons...

Where do the days go?

4 weeks from now and I will have, or rather I hope to have completed my first Marathon of the year!  I am genuinely so excited about it!

That said, I'm also shattered and am deliberately keeping this short tonight as I've promised myself some well needed sleep.  I always knew that this was going to be a tough week work-wise/children wise and hence have little training time but didn't quite anticipate the severe lack of sleep! 

I have however, really focused on my foods and in particular the protein/carb/water intake.  I certainly don't drink enough and am genuinely trying to rectify this but really think that my conscious effort to eat protein/carb rich foods soon after running is helping.  That and less running although the latter won't really aid me in the long term training plan!

So, in keeping it brief - my week that was.
A steady 5 miles on Monday directly after school which was ok given that I ran hard on Saturday and also ran on Sunday.  I had the children on Tuesday, no training :o(  Worked on Wednesday and then drove straight to Birmingham with work and was tied up with work until gone midnight.  Again, no training :o(
5.45am get up on Thursday morning for a quick 4-miler before breakfast and a day spent on training other potential/existing Heads of Maths (tiring but good) before driving back to Suffolk for an evening with my daughters at the school's Rockestra concert at the Apex.  Home at 10.15pm, worked until 12.30am... SO tired!  I did however manage to squeeze 7.5miles in at the school gym before collecting the girls on Friday after work.  I was playing mummy all weekend and visited some friends in Rochester, Kent for the evening - great fun but a late night/early morning (5.55am wake up call from my daughter who seems to have misinterpreted the whole Mothers' Day point).  I did however manage a fast run to the local Marina and back, only 4 miles in total but the return leg was a killer hill!  I actually managed 20.5 miles this week which was further than I had anticipated and the legs are feeling great!

This week however, the miles creep up again:
Monday - 8 miles directly after school I hope, time permitting!
Tuesday - 5 miles
Wednesday - if I'm able and don't have the girls, I could really push for a longer run on Wednesday (8+ miles) but I'll play that by ear and may even be able to run early on Thursday morning. 
There WILL be a longer run this weekend, I'm just not sure when/where yet.  I'm hoping to run the Joe Cox half but really wanted to get another 20 miler in!  Decisions, decisions!  Even so, I should easily get nearer the 40 mile mark somehow by the end of the week.

I just know that all the healthy eating and drinking will serve me well but without the sleep, I'm never going to feel great.  Surely, others must sleep more than ever when they're in training?  I know I need to and yet...

So, on that note, good night and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment